Salt Lake Peer Court is always looking for adult volunteers to support the program. Most adult volunteers are current undergraduate students looking to get involved in the community. Adult volunteers must be high school graduates. Background checks apply.
Position: Adult Volunteer (Advisor)
Supervisors: Program Director and Program Coordinator
Description: Adult volunteers offer support and guidance to youth volunteers during weekly court hearings- empowering youth to lead as involved stakeholders in their community. During deliberation in the courtroom adult volunteers help youth volunteers determine appropriate restorative-based dispositions for the referred youth. Adult volunteers make appropriate recommendations and discuss the needs and the interests of the referred youth with youth volunteers.
Time Period: One academic school year preferred/At least one academic semester required (exceptions can be made for late applicants)
Hours: 2.5 hours total per week. Volunteers attend court at the Matheson Courthouse on Monday evenings from 5:30pm to 8:00pm.
- High school graduate
- Strong written or verbal communication
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to confidentiality, honesty, and ethics
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, to work with diverse groups of people, and to collaborate with other community organizations
- Multicultural sensitivity and sensitivity to needs of clients, clients’ families, visitors, co-workers, volunteers, and other persons with whom you may interact
- Commitment to mission and philosophy of Salt Lake Peer Court
- Spanish fluency a plus, but not required
If you are interested in becoming an adult volunteer for the 2021/2022 school year please email Jenny Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org