Salt Lake Peer Court is always looking for adult volunteers to support the program. Most adult volunteers are current undergraduate students looking to get involved in the community. Adult volunteers must be high school graduates. Background checks apply.
Position: Adult Volunteer (Advisor)
Supervisors: Program Director and Program Coordinator
Description: Adult volunteers offer support and guidance to youth volunteers during weekly court hearings- empowering youth to lead as involved stakeholders in their community. During deliberation in the courtroom adult volunteers help youth volunteers determine appropriate restorative-justice-based dispositions for the referred youth. Adult volunteers make appropriate recommendations and openly discuss the needs and the interests of the referred youth with youth volunteers.
Outside of the courtroom adult volunteers monitor the ongoing peer mentoring process- ensuring that it is a positive learning experience for all. Adult volunteers keep in touch with a group of youth volunteers weekly by phone. Adult volunteers also contact the families of referred youth by phone- providing ongoing support while the requirements of the Peer Court contract are completed.
Time Period: One academic school year preferred/At least one academic semester required (exceptions can be made for late applicants)
Hours: 3 hours per week- 2.5 hours on Monday evening and 0.5 hour during the week by phone. Volunteers attend court at the Matheson Courthouse on Monday evenings from 5:30pm to 8:00pm during the Salt Lake City School District’s academic school year. Court is not held on holidays nor school breaks.
- High school graduate
- Strong written or verbal communication
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to confidentiality, honesty, and ethics
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, to work with diverse groups of people, and to collaborate with other community organizations
- Multicultural sensitivity and sensitivity to needs of clients, clients’ families, visitors, co-workers, volunteers, and other persons with whom you may interact
- Commitment to mission and philosophy of Salt Lake Peer Court
- Spanish fluency a plus
How to Apply: Please complete an online application